Windows Live Mesh Remote not allowing connections, resetting display settings, always showing actions
Jan, 06, 2012
I was having problems with the remote connections feature in Windows Live Mesh.
It would get to 'Starting connection with "PC-NAME"' and never actually show the desktop no matter how long I waited.
I tried reinstalling Live Essentials, as well as "fixing" the installation via the Programs and Features control panel. No Help. I was about to just give up and renew my GoToMyPc subscription! After all, the sync functionality makes Live Mesh worth it by itself. It was a last ditch effort that I stumbled across this forum thread: External monitor resolution gets reset after Mesh starts. It didn't really have much to do with my issue but it kicked something off in my brain. Registry keys don't alway get deleted on uninstalls! More on that at Registry Keys: Enemies of the clean uninstall.
Performing these steps on the computer I'm trying to remote into resolved my issue:
- Exit Live Mesh by right clicking it in the system tray and clicking Exit. Confirm at the prompt.
- Open services.msc and stop the Windows Live Mesh remote connections service.
- Open regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Live Mesh.
- Back up the Live Mesh key and all of its subkeys by right clicking it and selecting Export. Put it on your desktop or somewhere it will be accessible in case of a problem.
- Delete the Live Mesh key and all of its subkeys. Confirm at the prompt.
- Start Live Mesh and make sure you click over the the Remote tab and reenable remote connections to this computer.
This fixed 4 issues that I was having with Live Mesh Remote:
- Remote connections not starting. The client computer would just hang at the "Starting Connection" screen.
- Display settings resetting. Mine was moving my 4 monitors in a row when I had them stacked 2x2. This would happen every time I tried to remote in. According to the blog post above, someone else's was resetting the monitor's resolution. I'm assuming it's the same base issue.
- Show my actions always enabled. It should be hiding my actions on the remote computer by default.
- Clicking not registering. I think this had to do with the above showing actions issue because before the real fix I was fixing it by selecting Show My Actions and then Hide My Actions.